But, although the block interior was subdivided and the grid laid out, the alley dwellings were never built. In the 1930s, the long-empty interior lots began to be consolidated for industrial buildings built back-to-back with the streetfront houses. The anonymous alley then officially became the 1200 block of Cushing Place, a deadend extension of the street that connects L Street to the north side of M Street SE.
By 1959, the 1200 block of Cushing Place was lined with wholesale businesses including a glazing workshop, a wastepaper dealer, janitorial and plumbing supplies distributors, and the High's Dairy Stores warehouse. Even though residential element of the neighborhood has since withered away, these commercial buildings have remained vital as auto repair shops.
Today Cushing Place SE is one of the few Washington streets devoted to a single trade. However, it will likely soon be relegated to a service road for the commercial development that will surround the new ballpark.
CLICK HERE TO VISIT "VAN STREET"
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO "ONE-HALF STREET"
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO THE VICTORIAN SECRETS HOMEPAGE